The Victoria Brain Injury Society’s mission is to support, educate, and advocate for adults with acquired brain injuries and their families; and to increase community awareness about acquired brain injuries.
1. Compassionate. We exemplify compassion towards each other, ourselves, and our community.
2. Accountable. We take responsibility for our actions and the overall success of the organization. We are honest, transparent, clear and kind.
3. Community. We create and embrace a welcoming, collaborative, and supportive community haven.
4. Inspired. We consistently seek out and apply feedback with a vision to advance and progress collaboratively as a team, leveraging technology to interact efficiently with our stakeholders and our community.
5. Engaged. We work to ensure all of our interactions reflect a responsive, empathetic, and optimistic outlook.
OUR PHILOSOPHY OF SERVICE
We believe every individual is due respectful support that begins with the recognition that individuals with disabilities are not abnormal or deficient but, instead, reflect the normal diversity of the human community.
Our basic philosophical underpinnings are rooted in the idea of maximum independence with minimum professional supports.
Our philosophy supports using existing services where appropriate, and using “natural” supports such as friends, family, and peers wherever possible.
We believe in encouraging family involvement and working towards enhancement of an individual’s social role within a network of family, friends, advocates and the community.
That being said, concussion and brain injury are highly specific treatment areas. Most generic service providers and peer or family supports require professional guidance and training to provide effective and meaningful support. That is where we come in.
There is support and understanding that you cannot imagine.
YOU ARE NOT ALONE.